COSIA INNOVATION FACILITATION CELL
COSIA, as a Public Private endeavour, along with Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH has set up an Innovation Facilitation Cell to foster innovation promotion in MSMEs and thereby create an improved Innovation ecosystem for its Members and other MSMEs.
BACKGROUND & ABOUT INNOVATION FACILITATION CELL
The Indian MSME sector has potential to be a key driver in transforming economic scenario of the country and making it faster, sustainable and more inclusive. However, the sector faces several challenges including weak innovation capacity of Indian MSMEs and dysfunctional innovation ecosystem. Outdated technology, access to markets and infrastructure bottlenecks further aggravate the situation for MSMEs to innovate. There is a huge disconnect between the Industry-specifically MSMEs- and Academia in the country which further restricts the cooperative knowledge creation, exchange & commercial exploitation of academic research.
GIZ & the Ministry of MSME, Government of India is implementing project on ‘Innovation Promotion in MSME Clusters (MSME INNO)’. The project aims to strengthen the innovation capacity and sustainability of MSMEs in India with a strategy to strengthen cooperation through networks of public and private institutions, by facilitating introduction and dissemination of new technologies, products, processes and/or business models.
Business membership Organisations (BMOs) like COSIA can play a crucial role to harness the innovation potential of MSMEs by being a crucial intermediary that can impact the local/cluster innovation system for COSIA’s member SMEs. Under this endeavour, COSIA will strive to provide the Industry and Academia a forum to come together and fulfil various functions, like supporting knowledge and technology transfer, supporting or initiating innovation policy strategies, providing advice and consultancy, policy advocacy etc.
ACTIVITIES UNDER INNOVATION FACILITATION CELL
- Introducing MSMEs to Innovation practices & helping them develop system of Innovation.
- Supporting to create and nurture linkages with stakeholders ( buyers, academia, government, banks etc) for promoting Innovation at cluster level
- Supporting to develop and offer ‘innovation assistance services‘ for MSMEs
- Undertaking innovation projects to demonstrate innovative solutions for common problems through cooperation between SMEs and academic/research institutes.
- Organising regular collaboration and networking events with research/technical institutes for commercialization and development of technology. Members will be regularly intimated regarding the Seminars, workshops and such other events.